Thursday, August 27, 2009

Learning Dutch and my progess



Today I was in a refreshing mood .It’s been almost 20 days we are back home .I have decided seriously to study Dutch. I don’t when exactly we will be able to live in Holland ,but for sure it will happen. Wijbren has difficulties to get a job outside of the country due to the recruitment agency requires applicants to be inside the country and available for interview anytime.

When it comes to languages I can speak Persian and English as native level and my native language helps me to understand a bit Turkish and Arabic. I learned English when I was so little and the root of indo European languages are so similar.

I know a bit French and it was hard in grammar ,but now Dutch seems to be easy after knowing English well, cause the root of all European languages are the same. Even though I have no chances to speak Dutch here .Although I have a Dutch boyfriend, but we speak fluently English and it is much easier to communicate ,moreover I am not in Dutch environment yet.
So today I was amazed that after spending only one hour after 2 days not touching books I could remember and red and write a bit Dutch. I am so happy with my fast progress,even so I am not practicing speaking nor being in Dutch environment.

The fact is when it comes to Chinese language ,it becomes a night mare. I have been living here for 5 years and I can understand what they say and can read and write a good enough ,but it is freaking hard this language.

Learning the characters are night mare and each single character comes with another one and the combination make totally another meaning. when it goes to intermediate and upper levels, you need to distinguish what exactly people mean not just knowing single character is enough. We can’t watch Chinese movies cause there is no subtitle and if it has if there is a new character there is no way to read it and you are lost.

Other languages like Persian( indo European language) or Latin ( German, other European languages) whenever you learn the alphabet and pronunciation at least you read and easier you find out the meaning comparing to English or any other languages you know.

No comments: